Wednesday, January 5, 2011

The Hall of Shame: Tulsa Wedding Photographer

At this point in 2011 everyone seems to be blogging about their resolutions.  About things they want to do better.  Things that will make them more of who they want to be.  Let's be honest.  I mean, we're all friends, right?  I hate resolutions.  I think they set you up to fail.  It's not because of the resolutions that we fail, but more of what is behind the resolution.  I want to lose 10 pounds by July.  Great.  What are you going to do?  Most of the time people's answers are... I'm going to cut out carbs, no longer drink pop, work out every day and do away with suger all together.  Really?  How long's that going to last?  Again, set up for failure. 

Wait, that's not what I meant for this blog post to be about.  Sorry.  Tangent.

Recently I was reading a blog, yeah I've become obsessed with them.  Well, this particular photographer blogged about The Hall of Shame - meaning all the 'trends' in editing photography that we now look back on and want to slap ourselves upside the head.  I mean honestly, spot coloring?  Why was this ever a good idea?  He also talks a lot about the current trends in editing and how, if not done carefully, can end up on the Hall of Shame as well.

This is something I've struggled with for about a year.  I love the current style.  The old-world feel of grungy pictures, but would I want this in 30 years?  Do I want to look back on completely over-edited images?  Probably not.  I struggle because this is such a trend, but yet I feel as though my work needs to be clean.  Edited as little as possible and only to inhance the true image.  I can, like most, slap some PS on an image and call it good, but when I look at that shot a few months later... I slap myself up the head and think to my self... what in the world was I thinking.

So, here's to 2011.  Here's to not over-processing images and shooting clean photography.  Let's forget photoshop can make grungy-yellow'ish-brown-antiqued images.  I love them now, but I can promise you we won't love them later.









When I first started I was told a very vital line.  Just because photoshop can do something doesn't mean you should do it.  Key friends.  key.

So, what are your resolutions?  I'd love to hear 'em... that way I can make some of my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment