Monday, October 18, 2010

The Importance of Strangers: Tulsa Wedding Photographer

I had kind of a strange thing happen to me Friday night.  Caleb and I went to the mall where I decided to try on some super cute boots at Bakers.  The worker went to the back to retrieve my size and came back with my boots, simply in the wrong color because they were out of the black in my size.  I though, no big deal, I'll try them on for size and can order the black if I really like them - which I did!  So Caleb and I are thinking, Great!  Shoe's bought, now we can go on our merry way.  Nope.  Out from the back comes the manager holding several boxes of boots in my size.  You see, she's has a thing for shoes (who doesn't ladies!) and she told me because I am tall she really wanted to see these boots on me.  So I obliged, well, because I love shoes too!  and I didn't want to let her down.... Pair 1, cute.  Pair 2, cute.  Pair 3... let's just say I tried putting the boot on and ended up taking it off immediately because I thought I was three and had put the shoe on the wrong foot.  Nope, I was right... it was just THAT uncomfortable!  Again, I'm thinking we're done.  Nope, she comes out with more boots.  OK, I oblige again... and again... and again.  So, then I'm thinking we're done.  I put my shoes back on, stand up, grab my purse and this is where it gets funny.  She sits down in a chair in front of us and says, "You know, I just feel really blessed."  I thought to myself, huh, I guess we're not done.  So I slowly sit back down and listen to her.

It wasn't what she said necessarily that hit me, but it was more of the fact that she felt as though she could share with me.  That's what hit me and it made me feel a little bad.  See, I had been in Bakers earlier that week looking at the same boots and the sales girls tried talking to me like all sales people do.  "Oh, your purse is so cute!"  ... "Thanks"... and I kept shopping as if to say, don't bother me. So Friday night I'm thinking, what if this girl is the same one that complimented my purse a few days ago.  What if I had blown her off and yet now she's sitting here telling me how blessed she feels.

It taught me something , Internet.  You never know what others are going through, so give everyone a minute and make them feel as though they have your whole attention.  After all, whatever you're doing can wait a single minute.  Nothing is that important.

So as I bought my boots and walked out of the store, she was on to helping a new customer and I waved goodbye to her as though I had just made a new friend.  She put an unexpected joyful smile on my face that night, and taught me a lesson in the mean time.  I bet she didn't even know it.

Now, on to the exciting part.  I was feeling a little domestic during the Oklahoma State game, so I made these little gems... and yes, they are black and orange.  Leave me along, I was in the spirit of the game!  Go Pokes!  Sorry Raiders. (Please excuse the iPhone picture...)

Enjoy your Monday!  It's Fall and it's beautiful.... go sit outside today!

2 comments:

  1. Yum, they look good! :) And I like the shoes story... I'm sure you're a blessing to people wherever you go!

    ReplyDelete